Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stosur happy with form ahead of French

Posted May 16, 2011 16:00:00

Samantha Stosur says she is happy with her form ahead of the French Open despite a 6-2, 6-4 defeat to Maria Sharapova in the Rome International final.

Stosur seemed out of sorts throughout as the former world number one and triple major winner picked up her first title in almost a year.

But Stosur still feels her game is where it needs to be coming into Roland Garros, where last year she reached the final.

"It has been a great week and each week that I played here in Europe I think I have got a little bit better," she said.

"I guess it is what you want heading into a Grand Slam. This is a great event and I have played a lot of good matches.

"Overall I am very happy with the way I played this week. I played very good matches and obviously today was a little bit disappointing but going into Paris, there is nothing to do but go out and practice on court and work.

"It's a matter of maintaining this and trying to take a little bit of a break now and then practice and be as fit and healthy as I can before Paris."

The world number seven came into the final ranked one place above Sharapova but there seemed to be a gulf in class between the two.

It was Sharapova's eighth win in eighth matches against the Australian.

The Russian has won 22 titles to Stosur's two and the 27-year-old acknowledged that her opponent could be rediscovering the form that took her to the top of the rankings.

"I think recently she has started to play a lot better. After she came back, she struggled a little bit and her serve was a little shaky," said Stosur.

"But that has all been sorted out now and she plays very aggressively. I think that that last few months she has definitely improved a lot."

- AFP

Tags: sport, tennis, australia, france, italy


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment