Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Roddick in doubt for French Open

Posted May 18, 2011 06:52:00

America's three-time Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick is a doubt for the French Open after he was forced to withdraw from the ATP tournament in Nice because of a shoulder injury.

The 28-year-old had been hoping to get a much-needed confidence boost after first-round exits on clay at both the Madrid and Rome Masters, but he conceded defeat and decided he would not be able to play his singles match on Wednesday against Romanian Victor Hanescu.

"I was already injured last week in Rome and I had to withdraw from the men's doubles final," said Roddick, whose best performance at Roland Garros was a fourth-round showing in 2009.

"I don't know yet if I will be able to play at Roland Garros and I think that you can't play a grand slam if you're not 100 per cent," added Roddick, who is presently ranked 11th in the world.

Roddick said that he did not want to risk aggravating the injury to such an extent that he might miss Wimbledon on his more favoured surface of grass.

"It is painful more when I am hitting backhands and forehands than when I am serving, and there is little bit of tendinitis," said Roddick.

"I want to avoid spending months out injured. It has not been a very good year so far."

- AFP

Tags: sport, tennis, france


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment