Saturday, April 16, 2011

Federer falls as Nadal's run continues

Updated April 16, 2011 00:09:00

Top seed Rafael Nadal won his 35th consecutive match at the Monte Carlo Masters by crushing Ivan Ljubicic 6-1, 6-3 to reach the semi-finals on Friday.


The Spaniard, who is bidding for a seventh successive title at the event, will next face the winner of the tie between Scottish third seed Andy Murray and Portuguese outsider Frederico Gil.


Nadal improved to a phenomenal 37-1 record at the venue, with his only loss coming to Guillermo Coria on his debut in 2003.


Former world number three Ljubicic had lost four straight matches prior to this week, but bounced back by beating 12th seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and number five seed Tomas Berdych.


But second seed Roger Federer, a three-time losing finalist to Nadal between 2006 and 2008, was upset 6-4, 6-4 by Jurgen Melzer, having never previously lost a set in three meetings with the Austrian.


Federer was well off his best form after two superlative matches this week in the principality as he began his season on clay.


The Swiss great was quick to admit that he had been outplayed on the day as he missed too many chances.


"I don't think I played terrible. It's still the first week of clay, so I don't expect myself to play my very best," he said.


"He played well when he had to and I missed too many chances. Every time I had this slight opening, things didn't go my way. Either he shanks them and they stay in play, or he hits the line.


"I try to do something, I miss by a little bit. All those things accumulate to something quite frustrating. That's what made it hard.


"But he did well, played aggressive and played the right way he was supposed to."


Melzer played in some pain after leaving the court with just one game completed to have treatment on a neck problem.


But he came out a changed man, who took control against the 16-time Grand Slam-winner.


"I felt it when I played a backhand, it kind of blocked my spine," said Melzer.


"But the physio did a great job unblocking it. I was a little worried. But then the pain went away quickly, it didn't bother me at all."


The Austrian also said he was pleased to have finally defeated Federer.


"I beat Rafa last year (in Shanghai). I have beaten Nole (Djokovic, in the French Open quarter-finals). So this was the one missing. I'm very happy I actually did it today.


"It was a tough match for me. He beat me three times last year and I didn't even win a set. But many things went well for me, my shots worked well. When he had break points I was calm and served well.


"I did well on the big points and played my game."


Spain's fourth seed David Ferrer will face Melzer in the semis after defeating Serb Viktor Troicki 6-3, 6-3.


- AFP


First posted April 15, 2011 23:14:00


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment