Saturday, September 22, 2012

Venus Williams to make Hopman Cup debut

Updated September 19, 2012 15:17:14

Venus Williams will make her Hopman Cup debut in Perth later this year, partnering John Isner to represent the United States in the mixed international tournament.

Seven-times grand slam champion Williams will have a chance to match her sister Serena, who won the tournament in 2008 with Mardy Fish and five years earlier with James Blake.

"I've never been to Perth - I've never played the Hopman Cup, so for me it's going to be a wonderful experience," Williams said in a media release.

"I've watched it literally every year on TV so now I get to play, I'm very excited."

World number 10 Isner won the title in 2011 with Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who stands at 1.68m tall to his 2.06m and Williams' 1.85m.

"My previous two partners have been very, very small," said Isner.

"But Venus is a little bit taller so I'm not going to look like such a giant out there. She's obviously one of the greatest players ever so I think our team has a good shot to do well."

Novak Djokovic and Ana Ivanovic have already been confirmed as the Serbia pairing for the event, which will take place from December 29 to January 5 at the new Perth Arena.

Reuters

Tags: tennis, sport, perth-6000, wa, australia

First posted September 19, 2012 15:17:14


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment