Friday, September 14, 2012

Ferrero to retire next month

Updated September 13, 2012 11:06:56

Former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero has announced he will retire from professional tennis next month.

The career of the 2003 French Open champion has been hampered buy injury and he will retire after playing in the ATP tournament in Valencia.

"The Valencia Open 500 will be my final tournament, in the best possible scenario," Ferrero said.

"This season injuries have prevented me from playing with regularity and it was a tough year as I realised on the court that I did not have the same ambition after 14 years at the top level.

"I am starting a new phase in my life with tremendous excitement, I will continue to be involved with tennis through the Valencia Open, the academy, the foundation that carries my name and other projects."

The 32-year-old Ferrero, who has slipped to 111 in the latest singles rankings, turned professional in 1998 and went on to win 15 titles, including the Masters events in Monte Carlo and Rome.

As well as his French Open victory, he reached the final at Roland Garros in 2002 and the US Open decider in 2003, after which he rose to number one and stayed there for eight weeks.

His last title came in Stuttgart in 2011 on his favoured surface clay.

Ferrero played in 17 Davis Cup ties for Spain, helping his country to its first triumph in the competition in 2000 and subsequent victories in 2004 and 2009.

Reuters

Tags: sport, tennis, spain

First posted September 13, 2012 11:06:56


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment