Saturday, June 18, 2011

Injured Clijsters out of Wimbledon

Updated June 16, 2011 09:07:00

Belgian second seed Kim Clijsters has withdrawn from next week's Wimbledon Championships due to a foot injury, it was confirmed overnight.

The 28-year-old suffered a recurrence of an old ankle injury during a shock 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 defeat to Italian qualifier Romina Oprandi at a WTA tournament in the Netherlands on Tuesday.

"I'm very, very disappointed to have to withdraw from Wimbledon after injuring my foot again at the tournament in s'Hertogenbosch," Clijsters said.

"At this moment I feel frustrated that it has to happen now before one of my favourite tournaments.

"I've always enjoyed being a part of the Wimbledon atmosphere but I have no other choice now but to rest, recover and to not play tennis for a few weeks."

The reigning US and Australian Open champion has had a difficult season since winning the Australian Open in January, struggling with shoulder and ankle injuries that have limited her appearances.

- AFP

Tags: sport, tennis, united-kingdom, england

First posted June 16, 2011 06:14:00


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment