Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Venus Williams withdraws from Australian Open

Updated January 10, 2012 08:00:28

Seven-time grand slam winner Venus Williams is out of the Australian Open.

"I regret to announce that I am withdrawing from the Australian Open. Thanks for your love and support!," the star announced on Tuesday via her Twitter account.

The former world number one has been receiving treatment for the immune system disease Sjogren's syndrome and also withdrew from last week's Auckland Classic.

On her website she said she was not quite ready to return to tennis.

"After several months of training and treatment, I am making steady progress to top competitive form," she said.

"My diet and fitness regimen have allowed me to make great strides in terms of my health and I am very close to being ready to return to WTA competition.

"I have every intention to return to the circuit in February."

AAP

Tags: sport, tennis, melbourne-3000, vic, australia

First posted January 10, 2012 07:58:03

7.30Foreign CorrespondentLatelineLateline BusinessInsidersInside Business4 CornersOffsidersLandlineAustralia Network NewsRadio Australia NewsAustralian StoryBusiness TodayAMPMThe World TodayCorrespondents ReportNewsRadioBehind the News

This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced.

AEDT = Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time which is 11 hours ahead of UTC (Greenwich Mean Time)


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment