Thursday, January 12, 2012

Giant-killer Tomic into Kooyong decider

Updated January 12, 2012 16:59:56

Australia's Bernard Tomic has defeated French star Gael Monfils to reach the final of the Kooyong Classic in Melbourne.

The 19-year-old beat Monfils 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-2) for his second consecutive win of the tournament.

He now meets the winner of Friday's match between American Mardy Fish and Austrian Jurgen Melzer.

Earlier, last minute stand-in Kei Nishikori beat Frenchman Jo Wilfried Tsonga 1-6, 6-4, 6-1 to register a big upset.

Twenty-six-year-old Nishikori, Japan's best male prospect in years, was drafted into the eight-man field at the invitational event after Milos Raonic withdrew because of illness.

The Canadian, ranked 25, one place above Nishikori, had flown in from India after claiming last weekend's ATP title at the Chennai Open.

Tsonga made a similar lengthy trip after winning in Doha only to endure a miserable Kooyang so far, losing two matches in two days.

But the world number six remained bullish over his Australian Open chances.

"I have big expectations, but not because I won in Doha," said the 2008 Melbourne runner-up to Novak Djokovic.

"I've expected to play well since I was a kid starting in the game, it's my dream to win a grand slam.

"I'm trying to improve my game to do that.

"I hope to make a push against the top four (Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray), if I can do that it would be something really big for me."

AAP/AFP

Tags: sport, tennis, melbourne-3000, vic, australia

First posted January 12, 2012 15:28:50


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment