Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Aussie Jones called NZ 'outcast'

Updated January 10, 2012 18:19:07

Sacha Jones was being labelled an "outcast" in New Zealand after winning her first WTA main draw match as an Australian at the Hobart International.

Jones crushed German lucky loser Kristina Barrois, a player ranked 183 spots above her, 6-1, 6-4 to progress to the tournament's second round less than a week after switching her allegiance to Australia.

The New Zealand media were taking a big interest in the progress of the country's former number two, TVNZ's website referring to the 21-year-old as a "New Zealand outcast".

She will next meet sixth seed Shahar Peer, with the winner of that match to play 2007 champion Anna Chakvetadze, who trounced Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova 6-3, 6-2.

"I think it's all just sort of coming together," Jones said.

"My serve's improved and my backhand's improved.

"They were my biggest weaknesses before and now I just feel really comfortable with them.

"I've just sort of improved my mind and emotions quite a bit as well."

Chakvetadze went into the tournament ranked number 235 in the world after illness ruined her 2011, but looks capable of blindsiding the tournament's seeds.

"I don't think about ranking that much," she said.

"Maybe because I know that it's really low, that's why I don't want to think about it.

"It's not the most important thing for me.

"If I play well I think I'll be top 100 or even better."

In other results on Tuesday, Peer beat Czech Lucie Hradecka 6-3, 6-1 and German fourth seed Angelique Kerber demolished Italy's Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2.

Australian Casey Dellacqua was scheduled to play top seed Yanina Wickmayer on Tuesday night.

AAP

Tags: sport, tennis, hobart-7000, new-zealand

First posted January 10, 2012 18:19:07


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment