Saturday, January 12, 2013

Tomic aims for top 10 ranking in 2013

Updated December 29, 2012 09:16:15

Australia's Bernard Tomic has set his sights on becoming one of the world's 10 best players as he prepares to begin the new season by competing in Perth's Hopman Cup.

Tomic will partner 16-year-old partner Ashleigh Barty against Germany tomorrow.

The 20-year-old has been plagued by numerous off-court problems and seeing his ranking drop from 27th, six months ago, to 52nd now.

This led Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter dropped Tomic from his squad for the upcoming qualifier with Taiwan in February and fellow Gold Coast player Sam Stosur was one of many voices telling the 2011 Wimbledon quarter-finalist to dedicate himself to the sport.

Tomic insists he has done this and is setting himself high goals for the 2013 season.

"I would like to reach the top 10 by the end of the year," Tomic said.

"I'm sure if I do the right things and commit like I've agreed to myself I'll do quite well.

"This year was a big learning year for me.

"It was one of my biggest years so far."

He said he did not consider himself up against the wall as he did last year.

"It wasn't the underdog feeling I had in 2011 when I did well at Wimbledon," he said.

"It was a different feeling this year.

"There were a few tournaments to defend and I got used to the pressure and I didn't quite handle it well.

"I feel I've learned a lot this year and it's going to help me a lot for the start of 2013.

"I've got to focus, it's tough and you're going to lose some matches, but as long as I put my head down and work the way I've been working the last two months I'll get results."

Tags: sport, tennis, perth-6000

First posted December 28, 2012 18:35:35


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment