Sunday, January 13, 2013

Millman hoping for future Davis Cup spot

Updated January 11, 2013 10:01:55

Australian Open wildcard John Millman is hoping his summer to remember will eventually lead to a Davis Cup call-up.

The world number 191 from Queensland has enjoyed some high-profile run-outs this summer, beating Japan's Tatsuma Ito in the Brisbane International before taking US Open champion Andy Murray to three sets.

He followed up his Brisbane efforts with a straight-sets win over Tommy Robredo at the Sydney International, before losing to third seed Andreas Seppi.

He told ABC News Breakfast he hopes his increased profile can result in a Davis Cup team nod - an idea that seemed fanciful just a month ago.

"That's the dream for every Australian tennis player," he said.

"That's the greatest achievement someone can have in sport, to represent their country and I'd jump at the opportunity, if given a chance.

"I know Pat (Rafter) and [Davis Cup coach] Josh Eagle and I'm in talks with them and hopefully, if I can keep getting results, then one day I can justify selection to the Davis Cup team."

He says his good form this summer is reward for battling back from injury in 2011.

"I was wondering whether to keep at it [in 2011] but I decided to, and 2012 was a long year," he said.

"Now the rewards have really paid off and I've managed to get some great results and hopefully I can keep them going here in Melbourne."

He says his match against Andy Murray, which ended 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 in the Scot's favour, was easily a highlight of his career so far.

He says playing in the big time has motivated him to push on from the Challenger Tour into the ATP Tour proper.

"I was having lunch with a few friends and my old man ... and I was wondering what that motivation was and how I was going to win points against [Murray in Brisbane].

"But I came out and it was a packed crowd, 5,500 strong Queensland supporters there and the atmosphere was easily the best I've ever experienced and a lot of the guys in the crowd thought it was unbelievable too.

"It was a great match and I fell just short and it's great to know that I can compete at that high level.

"Along the Challenger Tour it can get a little bit hairy there at times. I'm not going to lie, the money is nice and a grand slam, even with the increased prize money, it does fund your travel, it funds your year.

"I've never really done it for the money or the fame, it's more for personal satisfaction and accomplishment.

"It's something that's really rewarding when you've worked so hard to do something and it pays off."

Tags: tennis, sport, sydney-2000, nsw, australia

First posted January 11, 2013 10:01:55


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment