Sunday, January 13, 2013

Rested Federer aims to go deep in Melbourne

Updated January 12, 2013 17:50:12

With a trophy cabinet straining at the hinges and a 53rd consecutive majors appearance looming, Roger Federer might be excused for feeling a little jaded ahead of his bid for a fifth Australian Open crown.

Not so, the 31-year-old Swiss maestro outlined on Saturday, having passed his motivation test during punishing practise sessions in the off-season.

Federer eschewed all warm-up tournaments for the year's first major, dropping off the radar altogether in favour of a hermit-like training regime and time with his family.

The break, coming off a disappointing US Open and the loss of his ATP World Tour Finals crown to Novak Djokovic, was seized upon as evidence his competitive fires were beginning to flicker out.

Federer admits to some trepidation before returning to the practise courts.

"I think it's always a bit of a test for me going into the practise season," the 17-times major singles champion said while attending an exhibition day at Melbourne Park.

"Am I hungry and motivated to wake up, go on the practice courts for hours?

"There was not one problem. For me, that was good news. I was eager to improve my game, change it up a bit from all the tournaments I played this last few years.

"To go on the practise court and try to improve my game there. I also go into the gym and get stronger again. I enjoyed it. As long as that's the case, that means I love [the game] very much."

Federer has had to compartmentalise his job and family duties since becoming a father to twin girls in 2009.

"Today things for me make sense," he said.

"I know why I'm doing them. I know they're necessary. Sometimes it's not the thing you want to do every day of the year.

"But I know it's only a handful of weeks, then obviously you give everything you have."

Like his masterful technique, Federer has exhibited a similar gift for managing his fitness levels and now trails only South Africa's Wayne Ferreira (56) and Swede Stefan Edberg (54) for the most consecutive appearances at majors.

Rafael Nadal's absence has taken care of one major impediment to Federer's hopes of extending his record to an 18th major singles title.

But he faces a tough draw and may need to overcome third seed Andy Murray in a semi-final, continuing a rivalry that gripped Great Britain during the last Northern Hemisphere summer.

Federer beat Murray in the Wimbledon final, but the Briton exacted revenge in the gold medal decider at the London Olympics and brings a new self-belief to Melbourne after ending his long wait for a maiden major title in New York.

Federer faces unseeded Frenchman Benoit Paire in the first round but the prospect of an unenviable fourth-round clash with big-serving Canadian Milos Raonic lurks.

His lack of competition in the lead-up to Melbourne is calculated but Federer concedes it may put him under extra pressure.

"I purposely didn't play a lead-up tournament so that I'd be fresh for the beginning, hopefully going deep into the tournament," he said.

"That's the goal obviously. But of course maybe somewhere you do feel more pressure going into the first round. Of course nerves play a role.

"Playing well at the right moments only comes with playing enough matches. Not like I haven't played for six months. I'm ready to go and eager. That to me right now dominates."

World number one Djokovic is favourite to win a third title in a row at Melbourne, an unprecedented feat in the professional era.

Most believe the trophy will end up with either Federer or Murray if the Serbian slips up, but the Swiss says Nadal's absence has opened the door for all sorts of surprises.

"Obviously with Rafa not in the draw, that might mean for some of the players they only have to beat one of us, of the top three, maybe none," he said.

"Who knows what the draw is going to do to us. But there could be some guys making deep runs at this tournament."

Reuters

Tags: australian-open, tennis, sport, melbourne-3000

First posted January 12, 2013 17:50:12


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment