Monday, December 17, 2012

Taylor stands down as Fed Cup coach

Updated December 15, 2012 23:21:29

Dave Taylor has stood down as Australian Federation Cup captain to focus on coaching world number nine Sam Stosur.

Taylor cited the draining amount of travel required to coach both a top 10 player and the national team as the reason for relinquishing the captaincy.

Taylor took over the role seven years ago when Australia were wallowing in the Asian group qualifying.

He leaves them on a high with an away win over Germany elevating Australia into World Group One with a captaincy win-loss record of 15-6.

"I especially wanted to mention the fantastic support I have enjoyed from our Fed Cup coach Nic Bradtke, who has been a crucial part of the team," Taylor said.

"I have been honoured to work with Nic as I have also to see several players make their debut during my time.

"I have also been saddened to see the retirement of greats like Alicia Molik and Rennae Stubbs during my time.

"The common theme through it all though has been the selfless commitment from our players to our team goals and the terrific team environment that they all very much subscribe to. It has made my role so much easier over the years.

"I am confident the right person will be chosen for the job and that they - along with a terrific team - will continue the momentum we have built in these past few years."

Tennis Australia director of tennis, Craig Tiley, paid tribute to Taylor.

"Dave was the perfect Fed Cup captain," Tiley said.

"His ability to bring out the best in his players and to build a healthy team environment is as good as I have seen in tennis."

Tiley said the search for a new captain would begin immediately, ahead of Australia taking on reigning Fed Cup champions Czech Republic in February.

AFP/ABC

Tags: sport, tennis, australia

First posted December 15, 2012 23:21:29


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment