Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Teen star upsets Dellacqua

Updated December 06, 2011 15:45:55

Wimbledon junior champion Ashleigh Barty has pulled off an upset win over top seed Casey Dellacqua at the Australian Open wildcard play-off in Melbourne.

The 15-year-old Queenslander stunned Dellacqua, who has won six straight Pro Tour events in the past two months, to win in straight sets.

Barty says she had little to lose against Dellacqua but was generous in victory following her 6-3, 6-3 win.

"I think I played very well today," Barty said.

"I know Casey didn't play her best but I'm just pleased to get the win."

Dellacqua struggled with unforced errors from the start and seemed unsettled against Barty, whose steady returns and consistency blocked any attempt at rhythm.

"Once I got that first set I was over the moon, so I just wanted to keep that roll going and see how I went," Barty said.

"I just came into the match going out there to enjoy it. I'm not too worried about the score at the moment so I just came out here wanting to enjoy it and have fun.

"We didn't really have a game plan so I was just out there seeing what would work and what didn't and I was just having a ball."

Dellacqua still has a chance to reach the quarter-finals but must win her next two matches.

AAP

Tags: tennis, melbourne-3000

First posted December 06, 2011 14:31:30


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment