Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Stosur eyes Aussie Open result

Updated December 07, 2011 17:22:00

Samantha Stosur is confident she can handle the pressure to present a strong challenge at next month's Australian Open following her maiden tennis grand slam triumph.

Currently ranked sixth in the world, US Open champion Stosur has never gone beyond the fourth round of her home grand slam in nine attempts.

But her triumph in New York has added another layer of confidence for the 27-year-old Queenslander who has appeared to struggle at times with the added attention and public expectation on home soil.

"I don't think there's any greater pressure than probably playing grand slam finals and I'm lucky enough to have played two of those now and got through the last one with flying colours," Stosur said.

"I think the Aussie Open I can get a good result, I don't think there's any reason why I can't.

"It's nothing to do with the court, or the conditions or anything like that, I think it's just been one of those things.

"The last two years I've obviously had very good results at the French and the US and now hopefully I can do that here in Australia."

Coach David Taylor said Stosur, who will play tournaments in Brisbane and Sydney before the Australian Open, was now much more comfortable under the spotlight.

"I think Sam has been criticised probably for not living up to the big moments sometimes, but she's really erased that now," Taylor said.

"It's just something that over time you get used to."

Taylor and Stosur are working on getting her to come to the net more behind her big serve and finish points faster.

"My forehand could still be probably a bigger weapon and if I'm moving well and really getting around it as best as I can," Stosur said.

"I think my backhand can still improve and there's always room to keep moving forward and finishing points off at the net."

Stosur said she would love the accolade of becoming the world's number one ranked player but it was not a specific goal.

Among her goals for 2012 are recording her first win over three other leading players, Victoria Azarenka (0-5), Petra Kvitova (0-3) and Kim Clijsters (0-5).

"I think my best tennis can beat anyone in the world," Stosur said.

She has put her hand up for Fed Cup duty in February against Switzerland and is looking to make the Olympic team for a third time, with singles, doubles and mixed doubles all on her wish list.

AAP

Tags: sport, tennis, melbourne-3000, vic, australia

First posted December 07, 2011 14:15:55


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment