Friday, October 5, 2012

Gasquet wins Thailand Open

Updated September 30, 2012 21:31:03

Richard Gasquet snapped a title drought stretching back two-and-a-half years as he beat close friend Gilles Simon 6-2, 6-1 in an all-French final at the Thailand Open in Bangkok.

The 67-minute victory came partly because Simon fell victim to a knee problem, a day after playing what he called some of his best tennis to reach the final. He cut a hugely despondent figure afterwards.

Gasquet, 26, last tasted title success on clay in Nice in May 2010, and had lost three finals since then, including Estoril and Toronto this season.

"I'm glad to win a title but it's tough to do it like this against another French player, a friend of mine," he said.

"I have to be pleased to win but it was a little bit strange.

"I've had some tough matches this week, so this seventh title is a big one for me.

"I've played and lost some finals over the years since my last one, so it's always good to finally win one. It was a good win for me here, a big comeback week."

Gasquet, seeded second in Bangkok, says he knew nothing of Simon's condition until his opponent took treatment trailing a set and 4-1 down.

AFP

Tags: tennis, sport, thailand

First posted September 30, 2012 21:31:03


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment