Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hewitt, Barty get French wildcards

Updated May 16, 2012 10:25:59

Australian veteran Lleyton Hewitt will make an early return from injury after being awarded a wildcard into next week's French Open.

The 31-year-old Hewitt has recovered faster than expected from foot surgery in February and along with rising star Ashley Barty was granted a spot in the main draw at Roland Garros by Tennis Australia.

"I'm looking forward to playing the French Open especially after missing it last year due to injury," said Hewitt, a two-time quarter-finalist in Paris.

Barty, one of only two 16-year-olds in the women's top 330, will be making her French Open debut.

"I'm thrilled to compete in the main draw of the French Open for the first time and test my game against the world's best. Thank you to Tennis Australia for believing in me enough to give me this opportunity and I will do my best to make everyone proud," Barty said.

Hewitt and Barty will join fifth-seed Samantha Stosur, Jarmila Gajdosova (69), Casey Dellacqua (69), Anastasia Rodionova (106), Bernard Tomic (32) and Matt Ebden (69) in the main draw at Roland Garros.

Tags: tennis, sport, australia, france

First posted May 16, 2012 10:25:59


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment