Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kerber takes Wozniacki's Copenhagen title

Updated April 16, 2012 13:23:23

Double defending champion Caroline Wozniacki suffered her first defeat at the WTA Copenhagen Open on Monday (AEST) when Germany's Angelique Kerber took her title in a 6-4, 6-4 win.

Top seed Wozniacki had won the first two editions of the indoor hardcourt title in 2010 and 2011, building up a 14-0 streak in the process at her home event.

Kerber, the second seed, had lost her two previous meetings with Denmark's Wozniacki.

"I felt like I had nothing to lose. If I lost the match, it's OK against her. It made me take more chances and I'm glad it worked out," said Kerber, who won her second career title after her maiden triumph in Paris in February.

"I love playing here and today I played a really good match against Caroline. I'm happy I was able to raise my level for the last few matches here and I've gained a lot of confidence. I'm very motivated to continue working hard."

Wozniacki said she would recover fron the defeat.

"You always want to win," said the Dane.

"Yes, it's disappointing to lose, but it's not a disaster. You lose matches sometimes, and today was one of those times. There's a new match and new tournament coming, so you go on."

AFP

Tags: sport, tennis, denmark

First posted April 16, 2012 13:23:23


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment