Thursday, March 15, 2012

Youzhny a double winner

Updated February 06, 2012 12:36:55

Third seed Mikhail Youzhny got back to winning ways, beating unseeded Lukas Lacko 6-2, 6-3 to win the ATP Zagreb indoor title.

The Russian collected the eighth singles title of his career and then teamed up with Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis to end the run of Croatian wildcard duo Ivan Dodig and Mate Pavic 6-2, 6-2 and become the first double winner this season.

Youzhny dominated against the 97th-ranked Slovak, breaking Lacko's serve three times on his way to his first title since Kuala Lumpur win in 2010.

"It feels really good, as it was my best match of the tournament, and that's why I won today," said Youzhny.

It was the fourth win for Youzhny over the 24-year-old Slovak.

Lacko had a good run this week ousting second seed Alex Bogomolov and 2007 champion Baghdatis en route to the final.

"He was reading me well, so I didn't have control," said Lacko.

"I wasn't nervous. I didn't play my best. He was just too good today."

AFP

Tags: tennis, sport

First posted February 06, 2012 12:36:55


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment